Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21st

I will be doing a medical internship in Honduras for two months from May 22 to July 25. For the first three weeks I will be doing a Kinesiology Seminar trip through my college (Gordon College) and then I will be on my own after they leave. We will be learning about living with a disability in a developing country for the class, and while on my own, I will be working at clinic named Teleton which has 8 therapists.

My goal in doing my internship is to test whether I could actually see myself using Physical Therapy in a developing country one day. I do not know what to expect going into this trip and your prayers are very much appreciated. I will only occasionally update this, as I want to be present there as much as possible, but I do want to share some of my experiences while I am in the moment. Your commitment to listening to me is such a blessing, and I'm very excited to see how God will work while I'm down there. This is not a nominal missions trip or humanitarian aid trip, but these are passions and callings that cannot be separated from any of the work I do.

Please pray that I would relearn Spanish quickly and that I will be able to connect with people down there. You are such a blessing to me because by you simply reading this my experiences have an impact on more than just me.

Joshua 1:8-9
"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

I look forward to sharing my experiences, cultural shock, stories, and struggles with you over these next two months.

Until the next time, or more appropriately, hasta luego,
~Bennett Shake

1 comment: